Who are the School Governors?
The governors are made up of people, who come from different parts of the school community. This ensures that there is a wide range of experiences and views. There are different types of governors:
- Parent Governors – Selected and voted from parents and carers of pupils at the school.
- Staff Governors – Selected and voted from staff employed at the school.
- Local Authority Governors – Appointed by the Local Authority.
- Co-Opted Governors – Appointed by the Governing Body with particular skills or experience.
What do the School Governors do?
The governors play a strategic role in making decisions and supporting the school in improving the quality of education. They also have a range of statutory duties and powers, including safeguarding, managing the school's budget, ensuring the curriculum is broad and balanced, appointing school staff and reviewing staff performance and ensuring the school site is safe. As well as the Full Governing Body Meeting, there are a number of different committees which focus on different aspects of school life. More information, can be found out about these below.
- Review and approve all policies related to the curriculum.
- Monitor and review school data outcomes, including comparisons to national results (including for key groups of pupils).
- Monitor and review school targets.
- Monitor and review the quality of teaching across school.
- 确保国家curricu伟德国际足球投注l学校会议um requirements, and that it is meeting pupils' needs, including spiritual, moral, social and cultural development.
- Review and update the school self-evaluation and school improvement plan.
- Review and monitor behaviour and attendance.
Finance and Staffing
- Review and approve all policies related to Finance and Staffing.
- Approve the annual budget, and review and approve changes to the budget during the year.
- Review leases and contracts, including Traded Services.
- Ensure that the school are following the correct financial procedures (Schools Financial Value Standards).
- Ensure Best Value principles apply, including those related to correct processes for quotes and tenders.
- Approve expenditure and virements over £15,000.
- Appoint staff, in line with Safer Recruitment principles, and consider applications for changes to contracts.
- Review staffing structure, to ensure it meets the needs of the school.
- Review staff work/life balance, well-being and equal opportunities, including absence rates
- Implement the Appraisal Policy and review Teacher Performance and Pay.
- Monitor staff training and its impact.
Health and Safety
- Review and approve all policies related to Health and Safety.
- Monitor all Health and Safety Audits, Reports and Action Plans.
- Comply with current Fire Safety, and Health and Safety regulations.
- Ensure Risk Assessments are carried out and reviewed regularly, including those for educational visits.
- Monitor that all health and safety checks, including Fire Safety are being completed according to the school monitoring cycle.
- Inspect the school site, to enable maintenance and improvement, including security of the site.
- Regularly receive reports on accident statistics, including incidents of violence or aggression.
- Ensure staff and governors receive appropriate training.
- Review safeguarding procedures, and monitor current safeguarding provision through termly reports.
Further information can be found about our governors on the links below.
Governing Body Membership - Declarations of Interest and Attendance